Aquatic therapy consists of doing exercises in water, which takes the pressure off your bones, joints, and muscles. Aquatic therapy helps people with physical conditions, like lower back pain, decrease pain, strengthen muscles, and improve range of motion. At AquaFit Physical Therapy, we offer aquatic therapy to our patients as a type of physical therapy in millersville md. Our staff will work with you to provide an individualized treatment routine.Contact our office to make an appointment for aquatic therapy today!
Walking in the Pool At Physical Therapy
A simple exercise done during physical therapy is water walking. Water walking consists of walking across the pool while swinging your arms like you do when walking on land in water that’s about waist-high. It is recommended to avoid stepping on your tiptoes and to keep your back straight. Tightening your abdominal muscles can help to avoid leaning too far forward or to the side. If you want to take it up a notch and increase resistance, wear hand floats or light weights as your hands and arms move through the water. Water shoes can also be worn to help maintain traction on the bottom of the pool.
Benefits of Water Walking
Walking in the pool is a good remedy for lower back pain. It can help to reduce pain because the following benefits occur:
- Strengthened muscles in the feet, legs, hips, and torso
- Nourished spinal structures
- Improved flexibility and posture
- Increased bone density
- Controlled weight
Other Pool Exercises
Some other aquatic exercises that can be done during physical therapy in Millersville MD to decrease lower back pain include:
- Knee-to-chest exercise- Raise one bent knee towards your chest with your supporting leg slightly bent.
- Leg raise exercise- Outstretch one leg and slightly bend the supporting leg.
- Wall-facing leg stretch exercise- Hold onto the side of the pool while outstretching your legs and body.
- Quadruped activity and exercise- Float on your back while making paddling motions.
Contact Physical Therapy in Millersville MD
If you are suffering from lower back pain, physical therapy in Millersville MD might be able to help. At AquaFit Physical Therapy, we can relieve your pain using aquatic exercises. Contact our office to make an appointment for aquatic therapy today!