Aquatic exercise consists of a refreshing, full-body workout in the water. Exercising in a pool can bring many benefits and avoid some drawbacks of working out on land. See our physical therapist in Fort Meade MD, to get started with aquatic exercise. At Aquafit Physical Therapy, we can teach you the benefits of exercising in the water and show you the most beneficial movements.
Benefits of Aquatic Exercising
Exercising in the pool can be more effective because water has a heavier resistance than the air. The heavier the resistance, the more muscles you have to use and the more calories you will burn. Aquatic exercise can increase your strength, flexibility, and endurance. Another benefit aquatic exercise brings is buoyancy. The buoyancy from the water provides extra support for your muscles and joints.
Aquatic Exercises With Our Physical Therapist in Fort Meade MD
To get a full-body workout, you can do the following exercises in the water:
- Walking in Water- Walking in shallow water, around waist height, for intervals of 5-10 minutes.
- Water Arm Lifts – Keeping your elbows close to your torso, lift your forearms to the height of the water while holding dumbbells. Lower your arms back down and repeat.
- Lateral Arm Lifts – Hold the dumbbells at your side and raise your arms until they’re level with the water and your shoulders. Lower your arms back down to your side and repeat.
- Back Wall Glide – Push off from the pool wall with your feet and float with your head back.
- Leg Kicks – Hold onto the wall and flutter-kick and scissor-kick your legs behind you.
Safety Tips While Doing Aquatic Exercise
To remain safe during physical therapy in Fort Meade MD, remember to follow these safety tips:
- Stay hydrated before, during, and after your workout.
- Use a flotation device if you are not a strong swimmer.
- Avoid working out in a pool that is over 90 degrees.
Contact Our Physical Therapist in Fort Meade MD
If you are interested in partaking in aquatic exercise, consider physical therapy in Fort Meade MD. Our staff at Aquafit Physical Therapy can help you get a full-body workout while enjoying the refreshing pool. Contact our office to learn how aquatic exercise can help you.